Thursday, January 13, 2005
First Day at Work!
I am now gainfully employed again, I will be working at a local power plant making electricity. This will be my first real job in over a year. My last couple of jobs were dead end jobs, no future. My starting salary here is already greater than what I was making in the military for essentially the same job, not including overtime. So fellow nukes out there reading this blog thinking about re-enlisting for the money, don't, the jobs are out there, you just need some time to find them. Today went fairly smooth, I wont be going into the shift work just yet, my job will be to learn the systems, qualify the systems, and once qualified, make more money. That was the part I liked, I have a checkout book that needs signatures, when all signatures are filled I make more money, pretty self explanatory!!! All the systems are similar to what I am used to, but are slightly larger, and for efficiency purposes are a little more complex. There are also some extra systems in place for efficiency and emissions purposes only. It was a little overwhelming to see all this strange yet familiar equipment and thinking to myself how the heck am I going to learn all this? I then remembered that the same thing happened to me last time I entered an engine room for the first time. I actually got lost for a second, and was helped out by Svatek. Of all people to help a nuke out an A-Ganger! But yeah enough of that, so here are some cool things I learned today. The operators of the company have their cell bills paid for! $50 a month max, my bill is less than that right now, and in a little while it will be $49.99 a month! I also get a voucher to buy a pair of boots, I already have three pairs of work boots at the moment, and one pair or riding boots. I think I will use it to buy myself a second set of motorcycle boots! Yeah, that was about it! I got a hard hat for which I have yet to place the company sticker on. So tonight after increasing my cell phone options, I will assemble and place the sticker on my hard hat. I have the option of getting company uniforms, which are not required. I still don't know what I am going to do yet? Uniforms, Yea or Nay? I think I'll put this decision off for later. Well that was about it, more to come later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Uniforms...NAY!!!
hey, you should get in good with the boss and then get nathan a job. he gets out in 136 days. LA is not my first or even fifth choice, but it is in CA, and my brother lives there.
did i mention i love you, jorge?
(just kidding, but not about the love part)
Post a Comment