Monday, March 05, 2007

Road Trip From Hell!

My cousin has been in town because he needed some parts to rebuild an engine, but after conferring with my brother he opted at getting a whole rebuilt one at a shop near my parents house that specialized with the Japanese engines. The plan was to get this engine to San Diego where it would be shipped internationally, and immediately afterwards we would drop off my cousin at the border where he could catch a taxi to the TJ airport. I normally don't do long trips on my truck because of it's age, and I should have known better, but since the engine got loaded unto my truck at the shop, that is what we took on the road trip! Anywho, about 90 miles into the trip I get an intense fuel smell, I immediately stopped to investigate! Apparently the fuel line going to injector #2 (V8 engine) was gushing diesel, the compression fitting going to the fuel injector has failed. I get out my basic hand tools, some gloves, and attempt to tighten the fitting. Next I made use of duct tape where I made a gasket to temporarily fix the fitting. I travel a few more miles with this temporary fix over to the nearest rest area. By this point I stink like the petro, and decide that getting to the next town is not a risk I want to take. So I hop on the phone and get Senia's help to find me some repair shops and a towing service, and as usual, nobody works on the diesel trucks! Finally I find a place about 5 miles away, and we get towed! As chance would have it there was a Uhaul place right across the street from the shop. The shop actually showed us the fractured compression fitting (BFPL kind of fracture) since they actually found the broken piece! They said it would probably be fixed the next day. The only option left now was to rent a truck for the in town rate and drop off the engine and cousin at the border.

After all was said and done, my brother was waiting for me at the Uhaul place, he had driven all the way out from LA to pick me and my dad up! I am really grateful seeing that this is only a day after he ran the marathon, and he didn't even take the day off, although he did leave early from work when he found out we were stranded! So I guess I really owe him. Anyhow I am finally home now even though it is late at night, and the only wheels I have to my name right now are on my motorcycle!

Why do I have old cars? I don't know, and as of today I really don't know anymore if it's worth the hassle. I always believed in keeping around a beater or two, my personal expression of the three R's I learned oh so long ago has been expressed by giving an older car a second chance. Although as of today I find myself in doubt of what and how I have decided to go about the..."Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!"?????

No comments: