Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Poor Little Car!

I fear that my car may be nearing it's end. You see what happened today was something that I have been expecting for a while, although not the way it happened of course! I drove my girlfriend in to work, struggled through traffic for about an hour, but made it in with no problem. On the way back home I got lucky, and hit very little to no traffic. Now unbeknownst to me, the water pump had gone bad and had started leaking out the weap hole completely draining the cooling system of coolant. I may have noticed this had my temperature sensor been working but it doesn't. So when I exited the freeway and hit a red light my car starts knocking, and I get the overheating smell and light smoke. I was close enough to home where I just turned on my blinkers and kept a steady 30 MPH pace or so to keep from frying my engine. I think the car will be fine seeing that it did start up again about 10 minutes after I had gotten home. I guess I am glad the engine is old enough where it can take that kind of abuse, and that I do add an additive to the engine oil that helps build a film around moving components. I sure hope I didn't scratch the block, but if I did then my plan of fixing it up after running it to the ground will finally come about!

3 comments:

nate said...

I'd sell it, donate it, torch it. Anything to get rid of it.

Anonymous said...

Bah - never say die, not with an F-Body. You have to go beyond totalling to make them undriveable and irrecoverable. Although realistically, I should have given in at the engine replacement.

Jorge said...

I am kind of with Flint on this one, I don't really know of any other car (aside from air cooled engines) out there that can run without coolant for that long. I estimate I ran like that for about an hour.