I finished moving in on Tuesday, and the last couple of days have been really hectic. I finally moved in to a new home with my girlfriend, and we will be renting it for about a year or so. This will allow us to save some money and hopefully the real estate prices will come down in that time, at least that is the plan! What truly happens with the real estate market is in the hands of time.
I finally finished unpacking today! With the stuff I had in storage plus the stuff both our parents got us truly makes it feel like home. We still need tons of furniture, but the necessities are already taken care of. Washer and drier shows up tomorrow, and the new fridge shows up on Monday. In the meantime we are using a small portable fridge that I bought while I was still in the military! I don't have internet, the DSL phone people are mailing me the stuff to set that up but it will not arrive until the 13th of the month. Anyhow, that about covers it.....With the exception of my truck. I think I seriously screwed something up major in the driveshaft. I figured I would try out the 4X4 since I had not done so in a long time, and since it had been rainy I figured the blacktop was slippery enough to use the four wheel drive. When I backed up I heard a loud snap, and it probably did not help that I was in "four low", I immediate took it out of 4X4 and now I hear this strange vibrational rubbing noise coming from around the transfer case area. I did not see any broken universal joints, nor did I find any broken components where this happened. I know I need this checked out, but I am gonna wait until I can afford such a fix.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Congrats on the new place, sucks about the Ford though.
More reason to hop on the bike.
Gratz on getting back out on your own. I'm sure it's nice to have some space to move around again. I know I'm looking foward to unburdening my folks.
In regards to your truck, my guess would be that you shredded splines on the 4-Lo gear in your transfer case. The shaft for the gear (or what's left of the gear itself) may be what's rubbing against other stuff.
A little late, I know, but you should *never* use four low on blacktop. That gear is for climbing walls, or driving on ice - places you need to go really slow to avoid breaking traction.
Another FYI - since your truck has manual locking hubs, the only thing you really need to do is lock the hubs once in a while. You can still drive around in 2WD, but it will lube up the whole system all the way to the transfer case, instead of just letting the front wheels spin at the axles.
I know it's after the fact, but a little for future reference for you to avoid having this happen again.
Yes more reason to hop on the bike! I know the real reason it broke was cause of me, and thanks for the advice. I really thought a slippery black top would be ok enough to try out the 4Low, and I swear I was only gonna engage the Hubs but you know how it goes. You give a TED a panel with a bunch of buttons and he is bound to push them all at least once!
While that is tempting...I like the functionality of my truck, A big screen tv with a jacuzzi in the back of my truck oh and dont forget the 69 inch low profile tires...somehow that just quite doesn't do it for me.
Post a Comment