Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Inspiration by Steph!!

So in a very uncanny way, Senia was placed in a situation much alike the one encountered by Steph not that long ago. Senia was on the way to class and decided to get a bottle of water at the local mini mart. To avoid being stereotypical the clerks were of middle eastern decent, however I have been in that store and other non middle eastern clerks have attended me. Anyhow, she is at the store paying and two African-American kids (young teenagers) make a remark calling the other clerk Osama B.L., this was very much audible to both Senia and the clerk behind the register and also by the other clerk whom this was in reference to. As she is about to let this slide, she remembered Steph and decided on educating some ignorant brats. She let them know racial jokes were not OK, and asked them how they would feel is someone were to joke about their race/heritage/background. Their mother was at the store and had heard the whole thing and was surprisingly upset at her kids too! Senia immediately called me to tell me the whole thing after it was all said and done. I was super busy at the moment with work, but it was a nice little break to hear something inspired by our very own Steph!!!! I was getting ready to secure the Lube oil Centrifuge right when she called, I am afraid of it since it spins really fast but it was good getting my mind off of things for a bit!!!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Thank you guys for having balls that I did not.

Christina said...

Good job Senia, and good on the kids' mom too!

Jorge said...

I don't think it was a matter of balls....I think your candor in explaining the situation a while back led to today's situation. Discussing difficult matters although awkard sometimes does improve things in general however slight that might be!!!!!