Tuesday, January 10, 2006

We So Pretty!

So I finally got the internet to work, apparently a mixture of line problems and a crappy software issue with the DSL modem made for an untimely fix. Somehow the installation software was unable to properly change the settings on the modem, plus two of the phone jacks in the house were no good for the DSL. So.....Finally a month later and tons of wasted time on hold with those Verizon Online people, I am finally online! I am not really happy with their customer service though, I got hung up on a couple of times, and considering I called them to resolve this issue several times over the length of 3 weeks that just is way too much time for me. So I am thinking of just getting rid of them altogether and going the way of cable for the phone, cable, and most importantly the internet. I just hope I can keep my same home phone number since it took me this long to commit it to memory!!!! I also ran across this list of the most dangerous jobs of 2005, apparently my industry made it into the top ten. Somehow I doubt the list is based on the power plant side of the business since most of the danger is for the linemen, the guys that work on the transmission lines. The funny part of all this is that of all the places they can choose to post a picture from, they chose my plant! I guess they were just impressed with the picturesque skyline. The pic is also showing a plane flying by to the nearby Long Beach Airport just west of my plant. In the background across a river not shown, you get the see the Haynes Plant for L.A.'s DWP!

4 comments:

Christina said...

wow, that is a pretty photo!

Jorge said...

thank you!

Anonymous said...

Verizon Suuuucks!!

Here's my hell: I ordered DSL through Verizon when I was in Hawaii.

Then I moved to Washington. I cancelled my DSL and sent back the modem.

Still I find my account been charged $85. After three 45 minute calls and being handed off to various departments, my credit card is finally credited. End of story...NOPE.

Two months later, I get a bill for $85. I place another 45 minute call and am told to disregard the bill, my account has been credited. Indeed, my account shows a credit. End of story...NOPE.

A month later, I get another bill for $85 plus #u@king late fees...can you believe it...late fees!! So I place a 1 hr call to Verizon. I have to say, dude was helpful, but really, do I need to go through this!! He talks to no less than three departments, one in Hawaii, and a supervisor. He tells me the problem has been resolved. End of story...MAYBE…stay tuned…

Lesson of the story: A Kafkaesque bureaucracy is more efficient than Verizon and others of the cumbersome telecom ilk; go with cable.

Jorge said...

yeah cable is the way to go!