Thank you Steve, it in fact was pretty sudden. As you probably remember my Mother was in Mexico when this happened, and I was in Vegas. However my Brother was with my Dad, and the only sign that something was wrong was that my dad woke up one night and seemed to be sleep walking which he had never done in the past. No symptoms no nothing, he even had a physical done in December of last year with a clean bill of health. My Brother and Dad walked in to the ER Tuesday morning (April 3rd) where he was diagnosed with leukemia with severe hemorrhaging in the brain. They believe he may have had cancer in the brain and or in the lungs, but we are still awaiting autopsy results. He passed away on good Friday a few days later.
I was back home immediately since my brother had called me right away when this happened, together we made the decision to take him to the ER around 2am. I was at the hospital around 7am. All the doctors were giving us no hope, and all I could think about was getting my mom back home. He was put on life support that very same morning, and with the holiday week in Mexico getting my mom home was not an easy task either. She was back home by Wednesday evening. We were all by his side through this whole ordeal, a priest came by the very first day from my dad's church. I am so glad that I called my friends and family the very first couple of hours, my best friend was actually the one who suggested getting a priest over, and his mom drove the priest to the hospital.
I still can't believe what happened, and can't believe that someone can get leukemia and die from it within a few months. Especially since my dad was mildly diabetic and would go to the doctors so often, he would get blood work and physicals done so frequently.
He was a great man, and if anybody deserved a peaceful pain free exit it was my Dad. The services and interment were befitting my dad, we even had 8 pallbearers 2 more than normal. He was buried where he wanted to buried, the service was at the church he had attended for over 30+ years. The wake was at a neighborhood mortuary where all the friends and neighbors were able to attend. I am sure my dad is much better now, resting peacefully looking down upon us with a smile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Any time you need us, know we're here.
Lou,
I just read Sean's blog and found out about your father's passing - many well wishes for you and your family.
-Whit
thank you!
Post a Comment