Monday, February 13, 2006

Jumping on the Tedwagon!

Since Nathan mentioned it, I decided to chime in with my two cents. Composting is great, I used to do it, and it works. I eventually realized that I could get rid of most, and I mean most of my yard waste by mulching alone. I recommend either using a sturdy, easily replaced ($$$) lawnmower always maintaining the blades sharp, or by using a specially designed mulching mower. This made things really easy for me when I was living in the northwest and was running out of room to compost all my grass clippings, you also need certain brown to green ratios for a healthy non smelly compost. What I eventually started to do was raking all of my browns over my lawn and immediately mulching aftwerwards (a.k.a. mow the lawn without bag on the mower). Trick is most browns (inclucing branches) have to be fresh to mulch nicely, and you have to be careful since most branches can become projectiles. It does work though, trust me, one extreme example that worked out ok for me was in Virginia after some crappy hurricane. I cut every piece of debris into small manageable pieces and mowed the lawn until everything was gone. Be really careful though since flying chunks can chip paint, break windows, and hurt Teds. This is really prevented by a nice mower, a nice healthy lawn helps catch stuff too before it goes flying.

3 comments:

nate said...

If you always mulch the lawn will be too vibrant, requiring mowing too often. Plus I want that Carbon and Nitrogen for my Vegeatable garden.

Jorge said...

You can have plenty to go around, some nitrogen does come from the bacteria and fungi feeding on the decaying matter not just from what was already on the ground. And what is wrong with a nice lawn??? And Dex...now that you mention I have been wondering what to do my spare time, and I think this would be one step closer to getting a concealed weapons permit, i think it is almost impossible to get one in LA, plus I would get a free Gat!

Anonymous said...

You guys are all fags......what you really should do is spray crude oil directly on the lawn for that healthy glow!

Then again, I don't have any grass...